Friday, March 28, 2008

Book Tag

Sarah M. tagged me for this and I thought it would be fun! So here goes...

The rules: Look up from your computer, look around the room where you are sitting and pick up the closest book. And closest really means closest. No cheating by running upstairs to unearth your pink highlighted college copy of "The Critique of Pure Reason." Open the book, turn to page 123, count down to the 5th sentence on that page and then post the next three sentences.

"Finally, do not use punishment as your primary way of disciplining your young child or teenager. You will provoke great amounts of needless anger. You will also force your child to oversuppress anger; he may develop passive-aggressive attitudes and behaviors, trying to get back at you indirectly." (from The Five Love Languages of Children by Chapman and Campbell)

I tag Tara and Bekah!

2 comments:

Emma Mae Robinson said...

"As an example, consider again the SETAR model (3.1), with 0,1=0.3' 1,1=-.5, 0,2=-0.1 and 1,2 = 0.5 and Et~N(0,0.125). Notice that the variance of Et has been reduced compared to previous examples. Naturally, this does not change the properties of the skeleton." Naturally, of course. From Non-linear Time Series Models in Empirical Finance by Hans Franses and van Dijk. I'm surrounded by Tim's incredibly interesting and relevant to my life books.

Bekah said...

Drew's book The Omnivore's Dilemma was the closest book. It was a totally boring quote so I didn't think I would post it on our blog. :) "I'd spent the afternoon making hay, really just lending a hand to a farmer making hay, and after a few hours in the midday sun hoisting and throwing fifty-pound bales onto a hay wagon, I hurt. We think of grass as soft and hospitable stuff, but once it's been dried in the sun and shredded by machines--once it's become hay--grass is sharp enough to draw blood and dusty enough to thicken lungs. I was covered in chaff, my forearms tattooed red with its pinpricks.

I have no clue what this book is about. ha ha.