Yes, he looks innocent enough sitting here at the table stringing homemade beads onto a pipe cleaner, but...this little man's behavior at the zoo this morning was enough to make a saint swear! I tell you what! We just got back from a really hot trip to the Manhattan zoo with our neighbors and I am still fuming...I need to send some questions out to my fellow bloggers. I am completely at a loss as to how to deal with this child when he runs away from me, especially in public! It is just the most ridiculous thing when I am chasing him around and he is laughing. He has never done this before and I guess just recently discovered that it is much more fun to not listen to mom as she is screaming and running after him like a crazy woman! As we were leaving and heading up the zig-zag sidewalk he decides to just take off and no amount of yelling "stop" would convince him to stop. It's not just about "the control", I knew that eventually he would run out of sidewalk and be in the parking lot and that is scary! But I just could not catch up to him while trying to push that honking double stroller up the hill!!!!! Finally I tricked him into stopping, I'm not proud of my tactics, but it worked, and then promptly gave him a spanking. I proceeded to try and put him in the stroller, because he had obviously lost walking privileges, but he would not bend him legs and sit down, just stood screaming in the seat! I'm embarrased now thinking how we must have appeared to onlookers, I think my neighbor may have actually been embarrased to be with us. Does anyone have any advice about this (preferably someone who is now or has recently been in the parenting stage )? Is this just a phase? How do I get him to understand that I mean business when I say "come here"!!! ugh...parenting is humbling.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
venting...
Yes, he looks innocent enough sitting here at the table stringing homemade beads onto a pipe cleaner, but...this little man's behavior at the zoo this morning was enough to make a saint swear! I tell you what! We just got back from a really hot trip to the Manhattan zoo with our neighbors and I am still fuming...I need to send some questions out to my fellow bloggers. I am completely at a loss as to how to deal with this child when he runs away from me, especially in public! It is just the most ridiculous thing when I am chasing him around and he is laughing. He has never done this before and I guess just recently discovered that it is much more fun to not listen to mom as she is screaming and running after him like a crazy woman! As we were leaving and heading up the zig-zag sidewalk he decides to just take off and no amount of yelling "stop" would convince him to stop. It's not just about "the control", I knew that eventually he would run out of sidewalk and be in the parking lot and that is scary! But I just could not catch up to him while trying to push that honking double stroller up the hill!!!!! Finally I tricked him into stopping, I'm not proud of my tactics, but it worked, and then promptly gave him a spanking. I proceeded to try and put him in the stroller, because he had obviously lost walking privileges, but he would not bend him legs and sit down, just stood screaming in the seat! I'm embarrased now thinking how we must have appeared to onlookers, I think my neighbor may have actually been embarrased to be with us. Does anyone have any advice about this (preferably someone who is now or has recently been in the parenting stage )? Is this just a phase? How do I get him to understand that I mean business when I say "come here"!!! ugh...parenting is humbling.
Posted by noahpaul at 11:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
oh lynn. don't know what to tell you. benjamin did go through a phase where he would laugh when i was being stern and asking him to do something. he would just get this annoying little grin on his face and do it anyways. (thankfully it was never anything that actually put him in danger.) he hasn't done it in a few months so maybe it's something they just grow out of as long as you continue to be consistent with spankings or taking away privileges (this worked better for ben when he was in that laughing at you/defiant stage...he actually asked to be spanked a couple of times...what do you do with that?)
wish i could offer some great advice. i actually got tense inside reading about your experience because i absolutely hate those moments. they are so embarrassing and horrible. praying for wisdom. oh how we all need it.
I'll write you an email!
Oh my, Phinn has done the same thing in the parking lot at the grocery store. Thankfully we were right at the car and he got the spanking of his life. I've tried taking away privileges but, for us, it required a constant reminder of why we weren't doing X. It may have been effective? I'm not sure. A friend of mine has started trying time outs wherever they are even if it's in the middle of the store isle. I'll let you know if that works for them. In the meantime, call if you need to vent further. You know I relate.
Lynn -
No advice here... I just wanted to leave a little note to say I'm sorry it's so frustrating, and I know you will find a method of discipline that works for your boys. Who, by the way, are so adorable! Every time I visit your blog they have gotten cuter, if that is even possible. I hope you're doing well, aside from the frustrations blogged... We are really enjoying our little guy. If I haven't invited you to our blog, email me (armbruster@hotmail.com) your email address and I'll send it to you. Take care - tell Adam that Rob says hi!
Love Ashley
The taser usually works with Emma. Just kidding...don't call social services. Actually whenever I tell Emma not to throw her food, she usually gets a huge smile on her face and chucks a massive handful at the dog (which of course the dog loves)...
Like I told you...Berkley did that at the Mall, and You just gotta love the stiff legs thing! oh my. You are definitely not alone. I think it's a phase, and I try to have a conversation with Berkley letting him know why it is dangerous. Sometimes he gets it. But yes...it has happened to me, and it is pretty amazing how these little ones can make us so mad.
Post a Comment